Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Author! Author!














Had a look at Authors on the web and the Author Yellow Pages. I wasn't overly impressed by either site. Authors on the web is a commercial web design service rather than a site that might be useful in any way for readers' advisory. And if there is a search function on the Yellow Pages site, I couldn't find it. And when I want to search, I want to search - NOT browse.
Plus neither sites had listings for the first five authors I browsed for - ok, they were all British authors, but there are some very good books published on the eastern side of the Atlantic ... honest.

There are better options out there to recommend to patrons - here's two

Fantastic Fiction - great range of authors available, searchable, browsable, new books, coming soon, series lists, inks to authors websites, author recommendations, series reading order, soon to be published books, reader recommendations, and so on and so on ...

Overbooked - recommended lists, genre lists, new books, award lists, author sites (includes free webspace for authors)
Book Reporter was slightly better - coverage an issue here also though - the authors I looked for are not obscure - but BR seems to follow very mainstream American lines.
So I'm embedding my favourite book site and one I have recommended to many patrons over the years and will continue to recommend to all and sundry (not that we refer to our patrons as sundry ... honest)

1 comment:

ACL web 2.1 said...

Hi Isn't Hubcap a weird word,

Thanks for advising on two other different sites, awesome stuff and I really enjoyed what you had to write in your blog. Keep up the good work and we look forward to reading what you have say about Book Jetty.