Monday, March 2, 2009

If I had a toolbar ....

... for every cool web tool, then I would need a much much larger screen! I had a look at Reddit & stuff, and have already tried stumble, but I have to agree with the Mad Hamster (I've got to stop doing that!) that they just take up time/room/brain space. While they might be interesting for a 'bit of a play', they're more for surfers, not searchers, and I've always been the latter (and that before I saw Jaws). Give me a decent search engine and a bit of training in search strategy and I'll find things my own way. OK, I do still surf (a little), but it's more like boogie boarding at Piha rather a malibu board at Warnambool - and that tends to be from links on a page I've searched for and liked.

Stumble and stuff have thrown up the odd hit in the past - but they are all sooooo American based (like so much of the Internet) so bear little relevance to stuff I might like or be interested in reading, viewing, perusing, wasting time on. And as for Newsvine?? The blurb said "Newsvine is an instant reflection of what the world is talking about at any given moment.a social news where people can intelligently discuss news stories from mainstream USA sources" How can it be a reflection of what the world is talking about if it only really sources from USA sources? Unless you really want to find out what a hairdresser from Alberqueque thought about Angelina Jolie's dress at the Oscars ...

So call me a Web 2.0 Luddite - but I'll stumble around on Google as normal, having reddit for long enough that I know my way around and really digg it.

Delicious (from the previous web 2.0) will last and endure as a good adjunct to Google - mainly due to the ability to 'cloud' your favourites.

1 comment:

ACL web 2.1 said...

Well done, you sound like you know your way around social sites! We look forwards to your final comments and entering you in the draw to win!