Monday, November 5, 2007

Never eat anything bigger than your head



So what is Library 2.0? I've read all the proscribed guff and I'm not sure whether I'm any the wiser ... I get that the 'new' library will give patrons the chance of interacting with the library like doing book review wikis or adding reviews/ratings/comments to catalogue records. Does the fact that we already can add ratings on the OPAC mean that ACL is Library2.0? Or even Library1.999?

Maybe it's Monday, maybe it's me ... maybe it's because no-one (and in this I include the guy who first used the term) knows exactly what Library 2.0 is. Maybe it's "all things to all people" ... whatever you want it to be, it is.

I can see the whole interactive, contributive environment going off like gangbusters in some places/libraries and I can also see it doing a very good interpretation of a balloon of the leaden variety in others.

Disagree? How many people have returned an emphatic 'no!' to you when asked if they would like to learn how to use the new self-check machines? And we're offering prizes with that!

So maybe we need to look at offering ways for our patrons to contribute more and have more interaction with the library - but I think we also need to make sure we're not offering customers 23 new toys to play with that they can see no use for and have no interest in using/learning to use.

Just because it's there or it can be done, doesn't mean it's a good idea - I mean to say who on this blessed earth thought the Spice Girls were a good idea the first time around?????

2 comments:

VP said...

Well if you put it that way. Jeeze and Wooster, Fi fie, deep breaths.

Unknown said...

Looks like old tech will have to stay for a long time until people get used to the new stuff. And I agree the library shouldn't add new things just for the sake of it.