Thursday, October 25, 2007

Delicious but ugly

If it's Thursday then it must be blog time ... and del.icio.us. Whoever designed this website needs to be taken out to the back paddock and given a good talking to. It has to be one of the most hideous websites out there. How much effort would it have taken to make it just a little more visually appealing? I'm not talking uber-stylely here ... just the odd bit of thought given to typography and AWS (aka aesthetic white space).

Any who (as a certain Mt Roskill librarian would say), I like that idea of tagging your bookmarks and being able to locate them linearly rather than using the strict standard hierarchical system. But then again, I'm a closet bookmarker from way back. I did set up my own del.icio.us account and imported my bookmarks into it. It said it may take "a while". I have just found out that "a while" in cyber terms means enough time to do a desk shift, have a cup of coffee, section part of the reference section and rearrange the pens in my top drawer. Told you I had a few bookmarks.


Found this tagging thing very useful for stuff like my family history sites - you're not limited to 'filing' (and therefore finding) a site under just one topic but can tag it all sorts of ways to locate it. So I can find the Cille Choirill churchyard site (picture above - last resting place of my g-g-g-g-grandfather) under scotland, lochaber, cemeteries, cameron, and lots of other tags.

Having a library background and being semi- au fait with subject headings does help though - as I found out when I saw some of the more 'interesting' ways other people had tagged some of my favourite websites. Either they didn't read or understand the instructions or the tagging concept did not reach the requisite part of their cerebral cortext.
BUT it takes one heck of a lot of work to 're-tag' all your bookmarks if you have a whole bunch to start with ... and I'm not sure when/if I'll run out of steam and go back to the old way.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great blog post :) I know what you mean - del.icio.us is certainly a bare bones looking kind of site ;)