Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Pooh sticks



So I feel like a bear with very little brain today - and meandering around Technorati has not helped. Can someone please explain the point of it all? I get that it ...

  • helps you search through some of the 50 million blogs in the world
  • allows to to add the 'coolest' blogs to your favourites
  • enables you to check the 'ranking' of your own blog(s)
  • see how many people are writing blogs about Paris Hilton

And my question to all of that is, why would you want to? Maybe I spend too much of my time reading books and not reading blogs? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I mean, I love the idea that anyone can write their heart out and 'publish' it without going through some critical, opinionated, judgemental editorial/publishing process. But I know that these general ramblings of mine are just that - ramblings and probably of little or no interest to the general reading public or even the general non-reading public (maybe that's why I put pictures in?). I know that there are probably some major gems out there in blogland - really great, interesting writers who choose the blog as their medium - but the amount of dross means that even with Technorati and its brethren, you have about as much chance of finding them as winning lotto and the Booker Prize in the same week.

I did the required searched for Library 2.0 and my conclusion is that some people are cataloguers, some people can learn to be cataloguers and some people wouldn't know what a catalogue was if the entire AACR compendium dropped onto their foot.

Maybe if there was an easier way of finding out what tags you should use or that other people have used or whatever ... it justed seemed too random.

Maybe I should go into cataloguing ....

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I agree - but I guess the needle in the haystack sometimes makes up for the haystack :-S

Keep up the great work